Sunday, June 23, 2013

June Ipsy Glam Bag 2013

June Ipsy Glam Bag - "On The Wild Side"
My Ipsy Glam Bag arrived a couple days ago and I thought I'd share the contents with you all today. If you're not aware of what Ipsy is, it is a monthly makeup subscription service. It costs $10 a month and they send you four to five products in a cute, reusable cosmetics bag. They say that your Glam Bag is "personalized" using their beauty quiz, but I don't know how much that really affects the products you receive. However, it could affect the shades you get.

This is only my second Ipsy Glam Bag and I like it so far. Some of the items are hit or miss. However, most of the items are full size and both bags I have received were valued at least four or five times what I paid for them. Overall, this June Ipsy Glam Bag was worth over $45!

The contents are usually cosmetics, i.e., lip liner, eyeliner, mascara. However, they do include the occasional hair product, perfume, or nail polish. I definitely recommend Ipsy to any makeup junkies like me! Ipsy also lets you view the items that you'll be receiving a little before they ship them out :)

Anyways, here are the little beauties:

Psssst! Instant Dry Shampoo

Psssst! Instant Dry Shampoo Travel Size
I know a lot of people get overly hyped about dry shampoos nowadays but for some reason I can't follow suit. I have only really tried one other dry shampoo which was Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo. I only got it because it was on sale at Publix for $1.50 a while back and I'm glad it was because I wasn't too fond of it. Psssst! has the same consistency as the Suave dry shampoo and it disperses the product at just about the same pressure. There are complaints on Makeup Alley about the strong smell of the Suave one so I can say that Psssst! has a milder scent which might be more pleasant to those with sensitive noses.

I don't really know how much use I'll get out of this. Maybe I just haven't been using dry shampoos the right way or something. Psssst! does come out clear with no white residue and completely blends in with any hair color so I was pretty impressed with that part. (To be honest I was very disappointed that this got chosen for me instead of the Chella Highlighter Pen, which I was aching for due to my obsession over highlighting/illuminating products.)

NYX Rouge Cream Blush


NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Diva
Swatch of Diva
I have usually strayed away from cream blushes due to my oily skin but I'm so glad they put this in my bag. As you can see in the swatch above, the color is super pigmented! Even though the shade looks quite dark in the pan, it blended soooo smoothly on my cheeks. When fully blended into my skin, my cheeks looked naturally flushed and it lasted all day. It is VERY easy to go overboard with this blush so unless you want to look like a clown I suggest only using a dab on each cheek. Using your fingers is the ideal method of application since this is a true cream blush. I never thought I would love a cream blush so much but I have now been converted. I have a couple of NYX products that I'm in love with and this is just another winner from them!

Cailyn Line-Fix Gel Eyeliner

Cailyn Line-Fix Gel Eyeliner in Purple
I had never heard of Cailyn before but hen I saw I would be receiving this gel eyeliner I was really excited. Eyeliner is one of the products I can never have enough of and I have many in my collection. At first I was disappointed that I didn't get this eyeliner in black, but it forced me to mix up my makeup game. Purple would of been my second choice since it's my favorite color however. The purple shade is a dark eggplant/plum color, very pigmented, and creamy (did not tug at my skin at all!) The packaging is also very intriguing since it had a built-in brush and breaks up into three parts. The bottom part is the pot that stores the eyeliner, the middle part acts as a lid and as the brush holder, and the top part is the brush.

Swatch of Purple
As you can see from the above swatch, the liner brush included does a pretty good job of creating a thin line or thick line depending on which way you turn it. Though, I'm torn about the brush. While it's great for applying a thin or thick line of eyeliner in a straight line, I much prefer my own Coastal Scents Small Angled Brush to create a more precise wing.

Now onto longevity. Does this eyeliner live up to its claim of water resistant, smudge-proof, and 24 hour wear? Yes and no. This eyeliner did last most of the day and it was very hard to fix when I would mess up during application. I haven't tested out the water resistant aspect of it, but this eyeliner did smudge a little bit on the outer corners of my eye so I wouldn't say this was 100% smudge-proof. All in all this is a good eyeliner but it costs $21 which I think is way too expensive for just an eyeliner. (However it does make me love Ipsy more!)

Starlooks Lip Pencil

Starlooks Lip Pencil in Tickle Me Pink
Swatch of Tickle Me Pink
Along with Cailyn Cosmetics, Starlooks is a brand I have never heard of before. I got the lip pencil in Tickle Me Pink, which is a dusty rose but it might appear brighter on lighter skin tones. Out of all of the color options for this lip liner I'm glad I got Tickle Me Pink because it's the most workable with my skin color. The pencil only slightly tugs at my lips and has overall the same consistency as other lip liners (slightly more creamy though). The color lasted all day for me but the pencil sharpens poorly. I lose a lot of the product just by sharpening it.

J.cat Sparkling Cream Palette

J.cat Sparkling Cream Palette in Suzie
Swatch of Suzie
This may be the most disappointing product I received. Many Ipsy subscribers just flat out didn't like the glitter in these cream palettes. I was more disappointed about the density of the glitter. There is more cream than glitter in the pans and I had to dig out most of the pan to get a consistent line of glitter. The colors are so gorgeous and I love the mix of gold and bronze in the Suzie palette. I'll most likely use this palette up quickly but that's not necessarily a good thing :(


Where To Buy
Ipsy Glam Bag $10/month
Pssst! Dry Shampoo Travel Size $2.99
NYX Rouge Cream Blush $6
Cailyn Line-Fix Gel Eyeliner $21
Starlooks Lip Pencil $12
J.Cat Sparkling Cream Palette $4.49

Here is a look I did using some of the products in the June Ipsy Glam Bag!


Products Used

Face
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
Urban Decay Naked Skin BB Cream SPF 20
NYX Rouge Cream Blush in Diva
Benefit Watt's Up!
Make Up For Ever HD Powder
Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Setting Spray
Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Makeup Sealer
Brows
Benefit Browzings in Medium
Anastasia Clear Brow Gel
Eyes
Cailyn Line-Fix Gel Eyeliner in Purple
J.Cat Cream Palette in Suzie (First Color on Left)
Diorshow Maximizer Lash Primer
Lancome Hypnose Star Mascara (Top)
Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes (Bottom)
Lips
Starlooks Lip Pencil in Tickle Me Pink
Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker XL Extreme Plump